10 ways to Get Back to School on the Right FootThis is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Chalkola Chalk Markers; but all opinions and text are my own. Summer is coming to a close, and the first day of school is right around the corner. Parents everywhere are getting ready for earlier bedtimes, packing lunches, setting aside time for homework, and 1st day photo opportunities. Chalkola Markers can help you make that first day of school fun and personal, and having a plan for the start of the year always makes the transition less stressful.
1. Bedtime Routine:Get back on a bedtime routine at least a week before school starts if possible. A simple routine can make getting enough sleep on school nights much easier.
2. Teacher Communication:Contact your child's teacher before the school year starts, and set up strong communication between home and school. Make sure you give them multiple ways to contact you, and specify which method you prefer.
3. School Supplies:
4. Review:Do a bit of review on basic math and reading from the year before to fill in gaps from summertime learning loss, making the transition back easier. Play school by having them write math facts or spelling words in bright and fun colors on a whiteboard using Chalkola Chalk Markers.
5. Meal Planning:Do some meal planning and freezer cooking to make school days easier. Crock pot and instant pot dishes are excellent things that you can freeze in pre prepped packs. They help to eliminate stress over dinner and reduce the amount of times your family eats out on busy school days.
6. Go Grocery Shopping:
7. Plan Outfits:Set up outfits for the whole week the Sunday before, and repeat every week. This should help to avoid morning meltdowns over what to wear to school. One great perk of schools with uniforms is that there are less choices; but with a little planning, any family can pull it off.
8. PrePack:Pack lunches and backpacks the night before, instead of that morning. By having everything ready to grab and go, you reduce morning stress. Not having to rush around in the mornings makes each school day all that much easier. If you have picky eaters, have your children help do this.
9. Get Kids Excited:Don't start the year off making your children feel unwanted by telling them how much you are looking forward to having the house to yourself. Instead, get your child excited talking about all of the fun they will have. Tell them you can't wait to pick them up and talk about their first day of school.
10. 1st Day of School Photos:Help to remember their first day of school with a personalized back to school chalkboard. You could shell out money to an Etsy shop, or buy a pre-made board at the store, but why not make one yourself? This way, you can add exactly what fits each of your children. We love to look take pictures with the signs on the first and last day to see the changes they made over the course of the year. For years I have used dry erase markers to make these signs for my own kids. The main problem is that dry erase markers wipe off way too easily, and that means more work when I have to redo them. The second the kids picked up the signs for pictures, they always rubbed something off. This year, I discovered Chalkola Chalk Markers, and solved those problems. Chalkola Chalk Markers come in different sizes and colors. Their most popular set is 10 bright and vibrant chalk colors. The markers are great for any kind of non porous surface and are non toxic and water based. Use them on on products like:
- Paper, etc.