Some people have been looking and looking for new things to make during this quarantine. It's me...I'm some people! This recipe for strawberries and cream scones is sure to hit the spot if you want something new to bake. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup strawberries, cut into pieces
For cream cheese glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a seasoned baking stone.
2. In your food processor, blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated and the flour is the texture of sand, sticking together when pressed.
3. Pour 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream into food processor and pulse to combine the dough. If the dough becomes too thick, remove the blade and use a wooden spoon.
4. Turn batter out onto a floured surface and fold in strawberries. Bring the soft dough together and pat into a circle about 1 to 1 ½ inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges.
5. Place wedges on baking sheet.
6. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until scones are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Cool before adding the glaze.
7. Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Spoon over scones.