Earth Day Cake BallsThis post may contain affiliate links. If you click and/or make a purchase through some of the links in this post, I may make a commission off that purchase. Rest assured that I only share products I am passionate about, and all of my opinions are my own.
This year, Earth Day falls on Sunday, April 22. That means you have Saturday to make these tasty goodies for your family. Why not make an Earth Day inspired treat to celebrate this beautiful place we call home. They are even easy enough for the little ones to join in and help.
You Will Need
- 1 box of cake mix - plus the ingredients needed to make it
- Food coloring - green and blue
- 1 tub of vanilla frosting
- Brown candy melts
- Green candy melts
- Blue candy melts
- White sugar crystals (optional)
- Wax paper
- Mix your cake mix according to your package instructions.
- Divide into two bowls. Tint one green and one blue.
- Bake the cakes and let them cool completely.
- In 2 large bowls, crumble the cakes. (One color per bowl.)
- Divide the frosting into two bowls and tint one green and one blue. I use a traditional creamy buttercream frosting. I haven't tried making it with the whipped frosting, so I can't tell you how it affects the texture.
- Add in the frosting and mix together thoroughly.
- Lay a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet.
- Grab a bit of green cake and a bit of blue cake. Using your hands, roll together. Sometimes to get the Earth-like swirls, I will twist the colors together or once rolled, cut in half and re-roll.
- When finished, place on your sheet. Place the sheet in the freezer for about 20 minutes until they are set. (Hint: If your cake mix is hard to roll or sticky, place the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes!)
- In a small bowl, melt the brown candy melts according to the package directions. Dip one of your cake pops into the candy coating and cover. Place back into the freezer to set.
- Melt the green and blue candy melts into two small bowls. Drizzle the colors over the cake balls. If desired, sprinkle a few crystal sprinkles on top. Place again in the freezer to set.