Extra Extra, Own Newsies the Broadway MusicalOn Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 you can own Newsies the Broadway Musical on Digital, On Demand (U.S. and Canada only) and Disney Movies Anywhere (U.S. only). Did you miss the opportunity to see it on or off Broadway? Now you can enjoy it anywhere with a digital copy. I was sent a digital copy of the movie and this awesome Home Viewing Kit to facilitate this post and review, but all opinions expressed are my own. We were thrilled to receive these goodies that included authentic Newsies hats. We used the Google Chromecast to stream the movie from Disney Movies Anywhere on my phone to the television. What began as a lovable live action Disney movie in 1992, has become a global sensation as a Broadway Musical. As a diehard fan of the original movie since the 8th grade, I couldn't wait to see the Broadway edition. Now my family and I can watch it anytime we want. This show is fun for all ages and rated PG (there are a few instances of language to watch out for) with a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. One tip for fans of the movie is to go into this experience with an open mind. The Broadway Musical did change some of the songs and a little bit of the plot, but they also added new songs that the audience will enjoy.
About the Show:Captured live on stage at The Hollywood Pantages Theatre in California, this not-to-be-missed high energy event features Jeremy Jordan, reprising the Tony nominated role he created as “Jack Kelly.” Jordan is joined by original Broadway cast members Kara Lindsay as “Katherine,” Ben Fankhauser as “Davey” and Andrew Keenan-Bolger as “Crutchie.” Also joining them from the North American Tour are stars Steve Blanchard as “Joseph Pulitzer,” Aisha de Haas as “Medda Larkin,” and Ethan Steiner as “Les.” Enjoy a stage full of more “newsies” and more dancing than ever before. Set in New York City at the turn of the century and based on a true story, Newsies is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teenaged “newsies,” who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But, when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys' expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right.
- Jeremy Jordan as “Jack Kelly”
- Kara Lindsay as “Katherine”
- Ben Fankhauser as “Davey”
- Andrew Keenan-Bolger as “Crutchie”
- Steve Blanchard as “Joseph Pulitzer”
- Aisha de Haas as “Medda Larkin”
- Ethan Steiner as “Les”
- Music by Alan Menken (Tony Award-winner for Newsies)
- Lyrics by Jack Feldman (Tony Award-winner for Newsies)
- Episode 1: Return to Rehearsals
- Go behind the scenes with Andrew Keenan-Bolger ("Crutchie") and cast as they reunite for the filming of this Broadway smash hit.
- Episode 2: Return to the Stage
- After a week rehearsing in the studio, the cast moves to the Pantages Theatre where their performance will be captured on film.
- Episode 3: Filming Begins
- Andrew Keenan-Bolger and other cast members share their excitement as the time arrives to don their costumes and film the show.
- Episode 4: Lights. Camera. Action.
- Get an up-close, backstage look as the cast performs the show’s electrifying musical numbers during filming.
- Episode 5: Live Capture Film Day!
- Finally, the highlight of the Newsies Movie Event – a thrilling live performance for an audience of loyal and enthusiastic fans!